Random Blog A Musing Farf

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

ROLE REVERSALS

Life has been insane lately so I am happily taking a mental break from work and other obligations to help plan this summer’s trip to wine country. 20 hard drinking friends, a party bus with a stocked bar and vineyards galore serving the best Chardonnay and Cabernet franc Long Island can offer. This was supposed to be an annual trip, but last year the whole getting married thing got in the way of my attending. So this year, I am taking an active role. I picked the party bus and it is sweet. Sister will have lots of room to pass out after we are done drinking.

I mentioned to a friend today that I was picking out the bus because Husband and Photogenic Friend had been lax in their planning duties. During the course of that conversation, I received an email from Husband, cc’ing our new acquaintance, Sammie, informing Sammie that I am horrible at remembering our social calendar so to please contact him before confirming plans to have Sammie fly us in his plane over NYC. (I am terrified of going but have been officially bullied!) My friend laughed at me and told me that I had my gender roles all wrong and I, as the wife, should be in charge of the social calendar and Husband should be in charge of securing transportation.

I would have normally shrugged this off, but last night, while at going away drinks for Husband (Have I mentioned in the last five minutes how excited I am that he is leaving Big Corporate Law Firm? No? Well, let me tell you, I am thrilled!!!) the partners and associates who joined us all commented that I would now have someone to cook for and to help me clean. Huh? Husband is a much better cook than I am and he does more than his fair share of vacuuming, counter top scrubbing, etc. It’s not as though I sit home all day twiddling my thumbs, cleaning the apartment and waiting in hopes that he will give me a chance to try the latest recipes from Food and Wine Magazine. I am an attorney with a demanding job and help to run two volunteer groups. I want Husband to go to new job not because I want a maid, but because I miss my partner and friend. Interesting that no one thinks of that.

So, before I go back to work, I am going to sign the contracts for the party bus and defer social plans with L&N until I check with Husband. And maybe, if I am lucky, Husband will have dinner waiting for me when I get home.

No comments: