Random Blog A Musing Farf

Friday, May 25, 2007

TIKI AND DJ

Last weekend Sister, Husband, Tiki, Photogenic Friend and Photogenic Wife all went to CT. Father, Husband and Photogenic Friend went to see Steely Dan in concert while Sister, Mother, Photogenic Wife and I hung out together and reacquainted Tiki with his cousin DJ (Brother’s Basset Hound)

During the last interaction between DJ and Tiki, there was an altercation during which Tiki bit and ripped DJ’s ear. They had previously gotten along and upon further examination Tiki was suffering from a variety of illnesses that likely made him crankier than normal.

I have to admit I was nervous about getting them back together. What if another fight broke out? Upon entering the house, I tried to ease the transition. I removed all food, toys, treats and the dog bed on the floor (both dogs thought it was there bed and we did *not* need a territory war). DJ nipped at Tiki’s leg and I held my breath. Tiki walked away. DJ pushed Tiki off the couch and Tiki moved to another space without real complaint (just an exaggerated sign to let me know he was not thrilled about having to move).

In an effort to establish pack order I fed Tiki first and DJ second (after all, Tiki is older so in nature he would be ahead in the pack order). I made sure to give them equal attention and they were never together unsupervised.

But, these two dogs, who I feared would never really get along, came to be friends over the weekend. They played tug-of-war with a stick, chased each other around the yard, helped each other dog holes in the otherwise well maintained lawn, and worked together to trap and kill a frog so they could roll in its blood. (Really, if there is a doggie heaven, I am sure it will involve rolling in the blood of a fresh kill).

And, when it was time for a well deserved nap, this was how they slept. Seriously adorable and completely unposed. Way to go boys!


1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Damn, that picture is cute!