Random Blog A Musing Farf

Monday, October 16, 2006

IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, WHO CARES WHAT THE DJ THINKS?

Saturday was SWCNBN’s wedding. It was one of those perfect October days where the air is cool and crisp but the sunny skies make it really pleasant. SWCNBN was a stunning bride and amazingly calm as she handled the wedding day crisis (torn dress hem and ripped veil) that send most brides over the edge (a little double sided tape and no one could tell the difference). Plus, I give SWCNBN huge credit for letting me check the Mets scores during the pre-wedding dinner on Friday night and even letting me watch the game on television after dinner. Mets lost (Arrgh!) but otherwise the weekend was perfect.

In a totally modern twist, the groom was taking the bride’s last name. So, instead of becoming Mr. and Mrs. Groom, they will now be known as Mr. and Mrs. SWCNBN. (Luckily for me, SWCNBN’s last name is as easy to pronounce as her first name is difficult). There is no political reason for this. Both bride and groom like her last name and the groom has no real connection to his own last name.

This is one of the reasons that SWCNBN is so cool. She is not political or radical. She is a total pragmatist. If they prefer her name, why take his? If she hikes every weekend, why get a diamond wedding ring if one that she can “beat the crap out of” is cheaper and less likely to sustain damage in the mountains? See, she makes these really simple life changing and potential fraught with political meaning decisions without regard for the life changingness of it or the politics.

Very cool. I sort of wish I could do that.

ps - a hightlight of the wedding was watching Husband try and do the Thriller dance, all alone on the dance floor, while sober. As soon as pics are developed, I will try and post some!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the bride and groom. I'm so happy that all went well. Can't wait to see the pictures of Husband breakdancing!

Suzanne said...

Sounds like a woman of my heart. I hope I meet her some day.

And the Mets were flat out painful to watch on Fri. and Sat., so you did not miss a thing.