Random Blog A Musing Farf

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

OUR IT DIRECTOR SUCKS ALMOST AS BAD AS THE SERVER

Often, while at work, I do not receive emails. Husband, Sister and Very Important Client (VIC) have all complained to me about this problem and I have taken to having people email my personal account, even if the communication is work related. Worse, not only do I not get the message, but the sender does not receive a bounce back message, so neither I nor the Sender ever have any idea that the communication was lost.

This is incredibly frustrating – especially in an age (and profession) where most communication is through email and often time-sensitive. Worse, sometimes when VIC sends an email to other people in my office (and includes me on the header as well), everyone else will get the email and I will be out of the loop concerning important information. I have mentioned this to the IT folks at my office several times and one, in particular has been really helpful.

So, yesterday, Husband sent me several emails to let me know about some things that have come up on our calendar. He received a message telling him the email was undeliverable and today sent me the error message. The following email chain ensued (read top down):

-----Original Message-----
From: ALSMTP1@Corporatelawfirm.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:34 PM
To: Husband
Subject: Returned mail

--- The message cannot be delivered to the following address. ---

amusingfarf@abc.com Could not deliver in a reasonable time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Husband
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:28 PM
To: A Musing Farf
Subject: RE: Returned mail


Your server sucks -- this is the 2nd returned mail message I have received today in respect of e-mails I sent you yesterday!

-----Original Message-----
From: A Musing Farf
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:53 PM
To: IT Guy at Office
Subject: FW: Returned mail


Emails are still bouncing back to folks when they try to send it to me. Usually there is no return message to the sender, but in this case there was. Can we look into why since it keeps happening?

-----Original Message-----
From: IT Guy at Office
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:29 PM
To: A Musing Farf
Subject: RE: Returned mail


A Musing Farf -- looking more carefully at the returned mail message Husband got, I see that it was sent to you at ABc.com, not BAc.com -- he spelled our domain name wrong, transposing the "a" and "b". This explains that one -- but still does not account for the others. Meanwhile, IT Director is scheduling a look at our Exchange server soon as there have been other mysteries as well. We WILL get to the bottom of this.

-----Original Message-----
From: A Musing Farf Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:31 PM
To: Husband
Subject: FW: Returned mail

You are an idiot :) Well, at least this time it was not my server!

----Original Message-----
From: Husband
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:50 PM
To: A Musing Farf
Subject: RE: Returned mail

Not an idiot, just a very fast (and occasionally inaccurate) typist (I had a loaner laptop yesterday while they were fixing my own laptop, so I had to type in your e-mail address instead of pulling the correct one out of my e-mail contacts list). That being said, I've encountered this problem numerous times w/ your server while using the correct e-mail address.

----------------------End email chain------------

So, IT Director and IT Guy at Office pulled this email and others to look at the timing of them. IT Director then came into my office to complain about the tone in Husband’s first email and to tell me he was insulted that Husband said our server sucked. I thought he was kidding. He wasn’t. He informed me he was personally insulted that Husband maligned the server and wanted an apology. I offered the apology (mostly to end the conversation) and retreated back to my office to re-read the email chain. I still don’t see the big deal. IT Director said the above email chain was a permanent black mark on him. I don’t see it. I see it as us having a constant server issue that aggravated Husband (VIC has offered the same sentiments but he did it to my personal email since the work email never came through).

So, in a childish effort to add a black stain to IT Director’s soul, I would like to publicly announce that I agree with Husband. Our server sucks. I never get emails and when I do, it takes hours for them to arrive. My apology was insincere to IT Director (I mean, he called me “Young Lady” and then accuses me of unprofessional conduct over an email send by Husband? Even my parents don’t call me that!) and not only does our server suck, but so does he.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, you've always had problems with the USPS as well...at least that's the excuse you use (frequently) for late bday cards, missing postcards, etc. Up to your same old tricks? :-)

Anonymous said...

My initial reaction to IT Man is as follows: I've got something right here that you can transpond, Chief.

I admit I made a mistake in typing Wife's e-mail address in one of the recent e-mails I sent (a fact the e-mail string Wife posted bears out quite clearly). However, I still believe firmly that Wife's firm's server sucks -- I have received many bouncebacks from it over the past several months, on the next day or, at a minimum, several hours after I sent a given e-mail). I suspect that disclosure will come as a shock and surprise to Mr. High-and-Mighty IT Man ("Mr. HAMIT Man," an acronym that's astonishingly reminiscent of pork, so maybe we should take to referring to him as "Mr. Porky"). I know for sure the inadequacy of Wife's firm's server isn't a byproduct of the associates' being paid too much, so maybe Mr. Porky can swallow his pride and try to finagle some more "dough" from the powers that be in order to "bring home the bacon" on this IT issue, or, at least, simply in order to save his own.

Peg said...

OMG, IT director needs to get the F- over himself!!! Or should I just call him Mr. Porky, too? LOL

You know, despite the fact that my hubby is an Information Security geek, I still say that IT folks have egos WAAAAAAY too big for their britches!!! (And, frankly, their resumes!)

Suzanne said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.